Winter Tips for Staying Healthy
The fall weather is here and with the cooler temperatures comes a variety of seasonal colds and viruses. Your immune system is the body’s first and foremost line of defense against germs, viruses and infections. Ever notice that when you begin to feel run down, you catch a cold? Here are some easy ways to help your immune system stay healthy.
- Wash your hands! It’s so simple but we can easily forget to do it. Keeping antibacterial gel or wipes in your desk, in your purse or in the car can help you remember.
- Eat immune boosting foods that are brightly colored like fresh fruits and veggies. They are chock full of antioxidants like Vitamin C, Vitamin E, beta carotene and Zinc. Taking a supplement is another way to get these nutrients. Drinking green tea or Echinacea tea is also beneficial to your immune system.
- Stress, well, we all have some type of stress in our lives but too much is not healthy. Chronic stress can actually suppress your immune system. Avoid it if you can help it. Try learning relaxation techniques or meditation to help. Simply going for a walk can also do wonders.
- Be social. Stay in touch with loved ones like friends and relatives. Studies have shown that having good social relationships helps you have a stronger immune system.
- Get good sleep. Quality sleep is important to maintain a healthy immune system. Not exercising regularly can interfere with quality sleep.
- Exercise boosts your immune system and increases the production of leukocytes, the immune system’s cells that help fight off infections. Regular exercise can increase the release of endorphins which are a natural hormone that gives us a sense of well being and improves your sleep quality. Try taking a 20 minute walk regularly.
Remember to exercise, eat foods rich in antioxidants, take a supplement if need be, and don’t stress! Your immune system will thank you for it by keeping you healthy.